MINDFULNESS SKILLS for Healthy Child Development
What’s Going On?
Are the effects of Chronic Stress taking their toll on your family…
- Distracted Thoughts?
- Distressed Feelings?
- Disruptive Behaviors?
Too many kids today – and their parents – are experiencing information overload and emotional overwhelm. The daily demands of home, school, and work, combined with the constant background buzz of digital addictions, have wreaked havoc on our ability to concentrate, relax, and respond thoughtfully to one another.
The result? An epidemic of attention and executive function deficits, childhood anxiety and depression, anger management and behavior problems.
It’s time to stop the madness and restore sanity to humanity – one child at a time!
This introductory series of Mindfulness Skills Training Courses can help show you how.
Mindfulness is the gateway skill to emotional intelligence, resilience, and well-being.
It is the simple mental skill of paying attention, on purpose, to the present moment, non-judgmentally. It allows you to be fully present to what is going on right here, right now – both around you and within you. With this present-moment awareness and acceptance, you can make a conscious choice for how to thoughtfully respond, rather than emotionally react, to the stressors in your life.
In these classes, you and your child can learn how to transform your relationship with stress. You will learn the basic mindfulness practices of focused attention, mindful breathing, body awareness, mindfulness of thoughts and emotions, and loving-kindness practices.
These core mindfulness skills serve as a critical foundation for any child’s ability to cope with attention, anxiety, or anger management difficulties, as well as many other life challenges.
How Does This Work?
Each course listed below is composed of three 1-hour training sessions or classes. Participants are encouraged to enroll in and attend the entire series (though you can enroll in each course separately).
All three of these Mindfulness Skills Training Courses are being offered to:
- Tweens (ages 8-12),
- Teens (ages 13-17),
- and Parents.
Tween and Teen courses meet weekly, in person, at MidStep.
Parents, if you don’t take care of yourself first, and practice what you preach, your children will not be able to gain the full benefit of these therapeutic lessons. Our children develop their self-regulation abilities based on attuned relationships with self-regulating adults.
That’s why, in addition to the skill training courses for kids, I’m offering the Parent Courses – available for your convenience in two different formats at two different times:
- A monthly series of Saturday morning Seminars (3-hours each), or
- A weekly series of Wednesday night Webinars (online, 1-hour each).
Step 1: AWARENESS – Developing Clear Minds & Focused Attention
This training course teaches you how to focus your attention on the present moment, how to recognize what’s going on around you and inside you, and how to begin relaxing your body and refocusing your mind.
Class 1: Attending to the World Around Us
- Your Brain on Stress
- What Do You Notice, Now?
- Coming to Our Senses
Class 2: Attending to the World Within Us
- Going Out of Your Mind! (Body Awareness)
- “Tense and Release”
- Mindful Movements
Class 3: Attending to the Breath – Learning to “Relax and Refocus”
- All Kinds of Breath
- Mindful Breathing (Part 1: Anchor Spot)
- Mindful Breathing (Part 2: Anchor Words)
Step 2: ACCEPTANCE – Maintaining Calm Emotions & Positive Attitudes
This training course teaches you how to deal with distracting thoughts (past, present, and future) and difficult emotions (anxiety, angst, and anger). You will learn how to tame negative thoughts and feelings, and how to cultivate a more positive way of thinking about yourself and the world around you.
Class 4: Dealing with Distracting Thoughts
- Where Are You? (Past/Present/Future)
- Thought Bubbles
- “Name It to Tame It”
Class 5: Dealing with Difficult Emotions
- Facing Your Fears (Self-Awareness)
- Taking Your Feeling Temperature
- “Tend and Befriend” (Self-Compassion)
Class 6: Growing Positive Mindsets
- Savoring the Good
- “Broaden & Build” (Resiliency)
- Gratitude Practice
Step 3: ALIGNED ACTION – Cultivating Kind & Caring Relationships
This training course teaches you how to apply mindfulness in your daily interactions and interpersonal relationships. You will learn ways to communicate and connect with others more peacefully and productively at home, school, work, and life.
Class 7: Communicating with An Open Mind
- The Gift of Presence
- Mindful Listening
- Mindful Speaking
Class 8: Connecting with An Open Heart
- Loving-Kindness Practice (Kind Thoughts)
- Tuning In with Tenderness
- Finding the Fun Again
Class 9: Contributing with Open Arms
- Generosity Practice (Kind Actions)
- Giving, Receiving, and Belonging
- What You Focus On Grows
Course 1: AWARENESS – Developing Clear Minds & Focused Attention (MARCH)
- TWEEN CLASSES: Tuesdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm * March 15, 22, & 29.
- TEEN CLASSES: Thursdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm * March 17, 24, & 31.
- PARENT SEMINAR: Saturday 9:00 am – 12:00 noon * April 2.
- PARENT WEBINAR: Wednesdays 7:00 – 8:00 pm * March 16, 23, & 30.
Course 2: ACCEPTANCE – Maintaining Calm Emotions & Positive Attitudes (APRIL)
- TWEEN CLASSES: Tuesdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm * April 12, 19, & 26.
- TEEN CLASSES: Thursdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm * April 14, 21, & 28.
- PARENT SEMINAR: Saturday 9:00 am – 12:00 noon * April 16.
- PARENT WEBINAR: Wednesdays 7:00 – 8:00 pm * April 13, 20, & 27.
Course 3: ALIGNED ACTION – Cultivating Kind and Caring Relationships (MAY)
- TWEEN CLASSES: Tuesdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm * May 10, 17, & 24.
- TEEN CLASSES: Thursdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm * May 12, 19, & 26.
- PARENT SEMINAR: Saturday 9:00 am – 12:00 noon * May 14.
- PARENT WEBINAR: Wednesdays 7:00 – 8:00 pm * May 11, 18, 25.
INDIVIDUAL COURSE FEE: $95 for each 3-hour training program, which includes:
- Live group trainings
- Personal journal/workbook
- Class audio recordings
- Email tips and updates
3-COURSE BUNDLE FEE: $245 for enrollment in the full 3-Course Series (9 hours):
- All of the above, PLUS
- Three 30-minute Q&A Coaching Calls (1.5 hrs. extra) – FREE!
FAMILY BUNDLE FEE: $435 for BOTH Parent and Child enrolled in all 3 Courses:
- All of the above, PLUS
- One 45-minute Private Consultation ($120 value) – FREE!
Sorry, SPRING 2016 REGISTRATION is now CLOSED.
Please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in current and future classes. We’d love to have you!
I look forward to working with you and your child to help you move forward in the face of your life challenges – stronger, healthier, and happier.
Dr. Peter Montminy
Child Clinical Psychologist and Certified Mindfulness Teacher